Today is an important day because not only have I lived in Pittsburgh for exactly one year, but we are starting a new green project: no car.
We’ve been toying with the idea of selling it for a while, and when Taylor’s mother offered to drive it home to New Mexico we gladly agreed. Pittsburgh is a moderately spread out city but with decent public transportation that we can take for free as students, so we are ready to stop feeling guilty every time we drive the one mile to the grocery store.
My estimated pros and cons of not having a car:
- Pro: saving about $1600/year on gas, insurance, and parking
- Con: I will always forget this when we need to rent a zipcar or uhaul for any reason and will not want to spend the money on them
- Pro: we have bikes and will use them more
- Con: will make acquiring furniture more difficult
- Pro: we will not end up with a lot of crap we don’t need
- Con: will take an hour to get somewhere that would previously have taken 10 min
- Big Pro: feeling good about using public transportation
- Pro: new and exciting adventures/vacations via Megabus $1 tickets
Think we can do it? I am excited for the challenge.
Bye bye Subie. We will miss you.